Sunday, February 27, 2011

How do you accidentally run ten miles?

So, how exactly does one "accidentally" run ten miles?

Answers I've gotten today:
  • Got lost
  • Ran 5 miles on purpose, only to realize you were 5 miles away from your car/house
  • Zombies and/or being chased with a knife
  • And my fave... "aren't you supposed to be taking it easy?"
But I don't think there are such things as accidentally running 10 miles. There was absolutely no accident today. I was all geared up (running shoes, windbreaker, iPhone & gps running app, water, clif bloks, heart rate monitor) - by intention. I drove out to the W&OD trail - by intention. Got out of the car, final gear check, quick stretch and warm up.. and off I went. Nothing about my run today was by accident. I will grant you my intention when I went out was not to run 10 miles: it was to clear my head and remember what I loved about being outside moving through the sunshine. (I'm pretty sure 99% of this blog is really written on the trail, for the record).
I've been meditating on Hebrews 12:1.. "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles." The race that we are to, by faith, commit to and focus on, this is not an accident. In fact, it is extremely intentional.
Can you imagine someone running a marathon by accident? It just doesn't happen. These things require training, months, even years of maturing your body to the point of taking such punishment. You put in the hard, long work, to prepare yourself for the race. And then.. then you've actually got to show up to the race. You come geared up, mentally stoked, properly fed, proudly displaying that race number on your chest. Marathons require choice upon choice upon choice of dedicated intention to a goal. Not many people are crazy enough to sign up for a marathon, fewer train for it, a few drop out or don't finish. The proud, but physically humbled cross the finish line.
Some would argue that of all of God's creations, we are the ones that are most perfectly built for long-distance running. We are created by design to endure.
"Lord, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; you have made my lot secure." (Ps. 16:5)

So getting outside and remembering these things about running - it serves to remind me that we are in the Christian race and it is not by accident. Choosing to really serve God as He has intended us is a choice, and it is not a popular one or one that everybody really gets. God assigns each of us our portion, and our cups. I realize that I've been getting frustrated with the cup that I've been given and especially my portion. I have failed to remember that God uses trials big and even small to temper us into race-worthy champions.

"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Cor 4:16-18

No comments:

Post a Comment